Sunday, December 5, 2010

The book that changed the course of my future...

You may wonder why I am an educator.

Here's my story:

Years ago in college a psychology professor had me read a book called One Child by Torey Hayden. At the time I was torn between majoring in education or photography. The young girl in this book, with her severe emotional issues, made me realize that more than anything I wanted to understand the psychology of children and make a difference in their lives (deep. I know!).

Picture from Amazon
I made a decision. I would major in Human Development and Counseling. I loved learning about the way children grow and learn. But still, I was not making a difference in a child's life. I later went on to get a Masters of Education.

Am I making a difference now?
I don't know. But every hug and every smile makes me feel like I am.
The greatest reward is seeing the joy on a child's face when they do something for the first time.

And so here I am:
a mother
a homeschooler
a volunteer
a friend
an educator!

No comments:

Post a Comment